As moms we want our kids to be healthy, but what about heart healthy? When we think exercise we do not often think of their heart. Instead we focus on getting the kids outside or in a big indoor play area to run, play and get rid of some of the energy that has been waiting to burst out. It is important to know that exercise is so much more than running off energy. Actually, exercise strengthens us, gives us more energy and is great for our heart. We need to encourage our kids to participate in heart healthy activities and be a good example by joining in!
- Jump Rope – Bring out all those old jump rope songs you sang as a child. Your child can probably teach you some new ones. Have a family friendly competition to see who can jump the longest.
- Jogging – Go to a local high school track or running trails if available. You will be surprised at how well you feel after a mile jog.
- Walking – This is a great alternative to jogging. Go for a brisk walk around the neighborhood as a family every day.
- Swimming – Pools are not just for summer anymore. If there is an indoor aquatic center in your local area jump right in.
- Biking – Recreational biking is a fun activity for the entire family. Some neighborhoods and cities offer bike trails. You can also look for local bike rides for families or even bike races. You will need some practice first because some of the bikes rides are several miles.
So what are you waiting for? Grab the kids and get moving towards a heart healthy exercise lifestyle!
Robin Greene has been a Kindergarten teacher for more than 5 years. She has two wonderful teenagers and enjoys spending quality time with them. During her spare time Robin enjoys freelance writing for mybabyclothes.com. Make sure your little one is the cutest baby around this Spring in some unique baby clothes, beautiful baby tutus with gorgeous baby headbands and snazzy baby hats.
Photo courtesy of bekkajoy