Parenting teens today can be really tough, as teenagers have a tendency to push every limit they see. If you are parenting teens, it is important to set firm boundaries.
- Set high standards – as you definitely know from your own life, you can only reach as high as you aim. Set expectations for your teen high, and they will at least have a chance. Of course, remember that at times, they may fall short. Don’t discourage them: just give them as much help as they’ll accept.
- Be firm – Don’t cave in at the slightest sign of resistance from your teen. Set the boundaries and draw a firm line in the sand. Let your teen know that these are your rules and they must be followed, or negative consequences will occur.
- Be clear – Don’t expect your teen to be able to read your mind. In fact, act just the opposite. Make every rule extremely clear. State your position so clearly that there is no doubt or question in your teen’s mind about where you stand.
- Set suitable limits – Don’t be so staunch in your boundaries that you force your teen to rebel against you. Be aware of what your teen’s interests are and set your boundaries accordingly.
- Be willing to listen and compromise – At times, your teen probably will not agree with some of your boundaries. You have to be willing to create an open dialogue with your teen. You might even be able to come to a compromise on some things. Let your teenager know that the compromise must go both ways, or all bets are off.